Saturday, October 15, 2011

7-2 SL Vacation

Bates Motel
In the spirit of Halloween, the first place I went was the Bates Motel.  There were all kinds of spooky places to visit.  There was also a corn maze, but in SL it's too easy to cheat and fly above it to see how to get out...plus they've always kind of freaked me out, so I wasn't going to stay in it for long anyway.

NOAA Science
This is a great place to learn about the science of weather.  Lots of references that are linked here.  It was encouraging to see a place like this where students at the lower end of the age requirement for SL might go to find information the Rules of Behavior were posted on every building. 
Below is me taking a ride on a weather balloon~

Oddprofessor's Museum and Science Center
Here, students can perform virtual physics experiments.  They can collect data and then analyze the data to answer a question.  The data collected can also be used to make graphs and solve problems.  Some of the experiments were appropriate for high school level physics, while others would be better suited at the college level.  Below is a picture of me collecting displacement and time data that could be used in a graph or in calculations to determine whether an object is accelerating or moving with a constant velocity.

The Science School
There were so many science resources here!  I loved the ACS build of elements close to where you teleport in.  I could click on an element and several facts about it would show in the chat window.  I also teleported to the Nuclear Power plant and spent some time inside and flying around outside.

Eiffel Tower
I visited the Eiffel Tower in France and also got to see the Arc de Triomphe.  The time period was the early 1900's so when I looked through the viewer at the top of the Tower I could see what Paris looked like then.  I was also able to drive an Old Timer Car around the city.  It was REALLY slow, but fun to use anyway.  There's a picture of what I was able to see through the viewer and of me driving the old time car through the Arc.  I tried to get a picture of myself in front of the Tower, but the Tower is too big to get in one camera shot.



Great Wall of China
I visited the Great Wall of China because I've always wanted to visit in  real life.  I was disappointed that I was unable to fly around on this island.  Walking along took a LONG time!  I snapped a picture of myself sitting on the wall looking at one of the massive sculptures (you can see me really tiny in the background).  I didn't find much to actuall DO here, but it was fun to just take in the sights and explore.

Costa Rica
There were lots of places to visit in Costa Rica...and it rained most everywhere ;)
You were able to get around a few different ways.  I just explored mostly by foot and did a little meditating when I got tired.  It was really neat to hear all of the sounds of the rain forest and see some of the animals in their 'natural' habitat.

Soraya's Winter Enchantment Public Snow Playground
Even though it isn't quite Christmas time yet, I was able to get in the holiday-way on this island.  There were camp fires, snowmen, holiday lights, snow, frozen lakes, etc. that made it feel just like christmas.  I took my picture with a group of snowmen...see if you can spot me!

Second Life Botanical Gardens
At the botanical gardens I not only got to see lots of beautiful flowers, I was able to find a gondola and row it to another area.  The oar that I was given was invisible, but it looked like I was rowing and I was moving so I guess I had one.  I took a picture as I was going across the water.


Chocolate Factory
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory used to really scare me when I was a kid.  Visiting this place was kind of like facing a fear...still not all that comfortable with it, but it's good to know I can teleport out if I need to ;-)
It was here that I encountered the first advertisement that I was not comfortable with...I quickly turned around and went the other way.


Dinosaur Park
I was expecting something like Jurassic Park in the Dinosaur Park...maybe it is and I just couldn't figure it out.  I had some trouble figuring out the purpose of this island.  I did get a picture of my self with a T-Rex and some Raptors though.  That's me right behind the sign that says not to climb on the exibits.


Crater Lake - Oregon
Crater Lake was a place that I was able to just explore.  There was a great deal of wildlife to observe and I got to take my own canoe out exploring.  There were several vehicles that were available for getting around this island in addition to flying.  The main purpose here was to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment